God modeled the perfect picture of self-sacrifice so we could be freed from self-slavery.
Goal of all biblical interpretation: Worship
- Consider genre/place in storyline
- Think about original audience
- Apply rules of genre
- Take it to Christ
Genre #1- LAW
There are different kinds of laws
- general (10 commandments)
- specific (case laws: “If this...then”)
Original audience: Post-exodus, pre-conquest Israelites.
- The Law reveals the character of the Law-giver
- The Law exposes the human condition
- The principle is the priority
Example: Exodus 21:1-6
- What does this tell us about the Law-Giver?
- What does this tell us about our condition?
- What’s the principle?
- What about Christ?
2 Corinthians 5:14-15