Goal of all biblical interpretation: Worship
- Consider genre/place in storyline
- Think about original audience
- Apply rules of genre
- Take it to Christ
Genre #6 Gospels
- Genre/Place: Theologically-motivated history/biography
- Original audience: Early church
- What does this reveal about Jesus?
- Is there significant character development?
- How can I identify with the characters?
- Take it to Christ:
Example: John 17:13-21
- When you belong to Jesus, he redefines your identity. He has naming rights.
- When Jesus sets us apart, the world ceases to be our origin and becomes our destination.
- What ruins unity is when our desires are not the same as God’s desires.
- I destroy unity when I define myself by what I don’t like about you.
- Think about one person you should have unity with, but don’t.
- What are God’s desires for that person?
- Are those your desires?
- When Jesus talks to God about you, what does he ask for?
- He wants you to see people with his eyes, to have unity.