Role of Wives: Joyfully Submit
As the church honors Christ, wives should honor their husbands
Role of Husbands: Love Like Christ
Fulfill your role because it displays the Gospel
Biblical marriage is:
1. a covenant relationship
not a consumer relationship
2. secondary not ultimate
- Do you feel at liberty to speak negatively to or about your husband? Pray for a heart that loves to honor your husband.
- Do you find following his lead difficult, and do you always question him? Think of a recent example in which you did this and pray for repentance.
- Examine your heart to see if you are expecting your husband to satisfy all of your needs. Ask God to renew your mind so you can run to Him for your satisfaction.
- Does your marriage resemble a consumer relationship (personal needs are primary) or a covenant relationship (relationship is primary)?
- Have you complained about your wife? Meditate on how Jesus speaks about the church and pray for repentance.
- What 3 ways will you sacrifice for your wife this week?
- Plan to “wash her with the water of the Word” at least once this week.
- Meditate on the way you speak to and treat your wife regularly. Does it mirror how Jesus treats the church? Pray for repentance.
- Do you desire a spouse because you believe he/she will bring you ultimate satisfaction?
- Meditate on how your marriage will proclaim the Gospel if God gives you a spouse.
- Meditate on how your life will proclaim the Gospel if God does not give you a spouse.
Talk to your kids about mom’s role in the marriage and what it says about Jesus and the church
- Talk to your kids about dad’s role in the marriage and what it says about Jesus and the church
- Ask your kids if they have ever noticed mom submit to dad and dad love and serve mom.
- Talk with your kids about what they are looking for when they are old enough to get married.
- Pray with your kids for their future spouse; that their parents would also teach their children about biblical marriage.
- Dad, let your kids join in an activity to serve mom. Mom, let your kids join in finding a way to honor dad.
Prayer Guide for June 30–July 6
- Day 1 – Pray for Daniel. Pray for spiritual strength and opportunities to connect with people in the Bardstown community.
- Day 2 – Pray to abide in Christ alone. John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
- Day 3 – Continue to pray for the missionary from Parkway (Monica) being sent to South Asia. Pray for boldness and fruitfulness.
- Day 4 – Pray for the persecuted church in Nigeria. There have been more church bombings.
- Day 5 – Pray the Lord would protect our church from being inward focused.
- Day 6 – Pray that we are seeking God's will for our families and our church. James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
- Day 7 – Pray for the Biafada, Biafar of Guinea-Bissau. Pray the Biafada tribe will increasingly be drawn to Isa (Jesus) as they hear the Koran read in the mosque. Pray they will be given much curiosity to find out more about this man who is so much more than an honored prophet. To learn more about this unreached people group please visit http://unreachedoftheday.org/index.php?y=2014&m=07&d=06.