At all times
In the Spirit
With all prayer and supplication
Staying alert and persevering
All the saints
The preaching of the word
John Piper’s I.O.U.S
- Incline my heart to you, not to prideful gain or any false motive. (Psalm 119:36)
- Open my eyes to behold wonderful things in your Word. (Psalm 119:18)
- Unite my heart to fear your name. (Psalm 86:11).
- Satisfy me with you steadfast love. (Psalm 90:14)
- Set alerts to remind you to pray
- Pray the Psalms (or Valley of Vision)
- Quiet your heart and meditate on the One to whom you are speaking (Ecc 5:2)
- Have a specific place/time designated for secret prayer
- Is your prayer life struggling?
- Is it because you are frustrated, bored, guilty, or don't know what to say?
- What does God think about the prayers of those who are trusting in religion or those who have never submitted to the Lordship of Christ? (Isaiah 1:10-17; Matt. 15:8-9)
- Meditate on God's compassion for you in your struggle to pray more. Meditate on his infinite kindness and love for you when you are trying to speak with him. Let this warm your heart toward sweet communion with Him.
- What saints will you pray for this week? How will you pray for the proclamation of the Word at Crossing Church?
- Use Piper's I.O.U.S below to start your prayer in the morning.
- Consider setting an alarm on your phone that will alert you to pray 3 times per day this week.
- Talk with your family about what prayer is.
- Talk with your family about how you need to grow in prayer.
- Spend a few minutes teaching your kids how you pray.
- Talk with your family about the attributes of God mentioned in the sermon (perfect love and kindness) and how thinking about them can help you in prayer.
- Pray with your family for persecuted Christians in a particular region. When you are done, talk with your kids about how God can answer those prayers.
- Pray for our Church family and for many opportunities to tell people about Jesus.
Prayer Guide for July 21–27
- Pray for an intentional prayer life. Have more quiet time with God and meditate on the one you will be speaking to.
- Pray for encouragement and protection for Daniel and his family.
- Pray the Lord will bless the our ministry financially so we can focus on kingdom work.
- Pray that we would abide in Christ. John 15:5
- Pray for our Iraqi brother and sisters that have fled as ISIS orders them to convert or be killed.
- Pray for unity among our Body. Ephesian 4:3 "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
- Pray for the Guhanya of Sudan. There are probably a few followers of Christ among the Guhayna people, but very few. Please pray for these people and the others whom the Lord will soon draw to himself. Pray they will live holy lives and will be joyful always, praying continually, and giving thanks to the Lord in all circumstances.
- "And you shall be my witnesses, both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." Acts 1:8