Sermon Passage: Luke 7:36–50
- The object of your love and the knowledge of yourself make the difference between religion and faith.
- The one who loves much knows he has been forgiven much.
Religion uses Jesus for its own end, faith knows that Jesus is the end.
Religion says, "God helps those who help themselves," Faith says, "God helps those who have come to the end of themselves."
- Jesus took your debts and your checklists of self-righteousness and nailed them to the cross
"You are more sinful than you could ever dare imagine and you are loved and accepted than you could ever dare hope- at the same time." -Tim Keller
Crossing church will be a community where prostitutes are called daughters and those trusting in religion are shown to be prostitutes.
- Everything depends on what you do with Jesus.
- Do you resemble Simon the Pharisee, the sinful woman, or somewhere in between?
- Ask the Lord to give you knowledge of yourself and the right object of your love.
- In what areas have you noticed self-righteousness in your heart?
- Think of all the ways you've been forgiven. Ask the Lord to help you love much because you've been forgiven much.
- Tell the story of the Pharisee and the sinful women to your kids. (Luke 7:36-50)
- Who did Jesus think was right? Why?
- Talk with you family about how how we all act like the Pharisee sometimes when we think we are better than other people.
- Pray with your family that God would help you know yourself rightly and love Jesus much. Pray that God would protect you from self-righteous thoughts.
- Talk to your kids about how understanding forgiveness can help you understand love.